We are on cloud wine, Portland Wine Week is taking place again this year June 14th-June 20th, 2021! Celebrating the best of what this seaside “Restaurant City of the Year” has to offer, Portland Wine Week will include seminars, tastings, weeklong deals, special events, & more! While it is only the beginning of May, most, if not all, events are expected to sell out quickly. To ensure you don’t miss out on the fun, here’s a glimpse at the 2021 line-up! Be sure to check back frequently as the list is in the process of growing.
There’s no better way to enjoy fine wine than aboard the 74-foot Sailboat, Frances as it heads out on Portland’s Casco Bay promising scenic views of lighthouses, islands, waterways, and more. Presented by Wine Wise, here is the list of available wine sails:
- Wednesday, June 16th (4 pm-6 pm) Celebrating Women Winemakers: Explore five delicious quality wines from incredible women winemakers.
- Wednesday, June 16th (6:30 pm-8:30 pm) Emerging Wines: Taste five wines from emerging wine regions, previously unknown grape varieties, and new and re-emerging styles.
Thursday, June 17th (4p pm-6 pm) Delicious Sparkling Wines: Featuring five delicious high-quality sparkling wines.
Thursday, June 17th (6:30 pm- 8:30 pm) Natural Wines: Discover what makes a wine “natural” while tasting and learning about five delicious natural wines
Friday, June 18th (4 pm- 6 pm) Pinot Noir: Featured beautiful Pinot Noirs from regions such as Burgundy, Carneros, Sata Rita Hills, Russian River Valley, Germany, The Loire, Central Otago, New Zeland, etc.
Saturday, June 19th (4 pm-6 pm) Orange + Rosé Wines: Taste and learn about a series of five delicious orange and rosé wines from around the world that you’ll absolutely love
Saturday, June 19th (6:30 pm-8:30 pm) Napa + Sonoma:Taste delicious wines from the renowned and diverse sub-regions within Napa & Sonoma
Sunday, June 20th (12pm- 2pm) Brunch with Acclaimed Chef Ilma Lopez of Chaval: Five wines and paired brunch courses
- Sunday, June 20th (4pm-6pm) South America: Presenting five quality wines from South America.
Sunday, June 20th (6:30pm-8:30pm) Spain: Taste and learn about five delicious wines from the renowned and diverse sub-regions of Spain.
- Fish N’ Sips at Mr. Tuna: 3-Tier Sashimi Tasting + Wine Pairing menu (Vinho Verde from Portugal, a Petit Chablis, and a Grower-Producer Champagne) available starting at 11 am each day. Can be enjoyed in their outdoor seating area, or call ahead for pick up/takeout, or delivery through CarHop.
- Reserve Wines And Food Pairings at Local 188: Starting Monday at 5 pm and every evening until Sunday, June 20th, you can enjoy a selection of three reserve wines (Grenache Blanc, Pinot Noir, and Garnacha/ Carignan blend) by the glass paired with Chef’s special raciones.
- Glass Pours and Bites at North Point: This cozy destination will be offering two different wine specials, one white and red, each weekday, as well as a Portland Wine Week exclusive charcuterie offering. Wine/meat/cheese pairing menu will be updated each day. Starts Tuesday, June 15th.
- Wine and Entree Pairing at Evo: Starts Tuesday, June 15th at 4:30 pm. Two Mediterranean dish options prepared by Executive Chef Matt Ginn and team available. For $25 (not including tax or gratuity) you will get a glass of wine and a delicious meal. Option One: Tabbouleh Salad, Falafel with spicy mango sauce, pickled onions, and fresh pita.Wine pairing: glass of 2019 IXSIR, “Altitudes”, White, Batroun District, Lebanon. Option Two: Tabbouleh Salad, Lamb Shawarma with hommus, jalapeño, and fresh pita. Wine pairing: a glass of 2018 Le Petit Baal, Rouge, Bekaa Valley, Lebanon
3-Course Sicilian Wine + Food Pairings at Leeward: The fresh, bright, and seafood-driven Sicilian menu will include Crudo, pasta, and the main dish, with each course paired with a delicious Sicilian wine. The menu and wines will be announced as time draws nearer. Reservations are strongly encouraged and can be made here. Ends Saturday, June 19th. Call (207) 358-7830 to make your reservation.
- Trio of Wines And Oyster Pairings at Maine Oyster Co.: Starting Thursday, June 17th you can head on over to Maine Oyster Company where they will be shucking three courses of delectable Maine oysters, three per course (That’s nine Maine oysters total). Each course will feature a different Maine oyster farm appropriately paired with a half-pour of different wines. Reservations can be made here. Please add “Portland Wine Week” to your reservation notes.
- Special Wines by the Glass at Old Port Sea Grill & Raw Bar: Starting Wednesday, June 16th, Old Port Sea Grill & Raw Bar will be offering fresh from the sea and the land dishes on top of a well-matched wine list in their modern and spacious lounge. You can also expect two exclusive wine pours as well as Prosecco and oyster pairings. To reserve head to Old Port Sea Grill Resy.
Folias de Baco at Highroller Lobtser Co.: Starting Monday, June 14th you can enjoy four different bright and minerally Folias de Baco PetNat wines from Portugal’s Douro Valley, by the glass or bottle for indoor or outdoor dining. Pair them up with Chef Henry Fitt’s delicious Scallop Ceviche finished with the Curtido for $16 or enjoy them with their regular delicious in-house menu.
Wine Week Pre-fixe Menu at Union: Available all week long for indoor dining starting Monday, June 14th, Union is offering a 3-course menu with each course being paired with a 3oz pour of wine. A glimpse of the menu shows slowly cooked lamb shank, herb-roasted shrimp, lemon curd pave & more.
Bubbles & Brie at Broken Arrow: No reservation required, stop in and enjoy anytime during the week starting Tuesday, June 15th for Bubbles & Brie, featuring two glasses of the NV Premius, Brut, Cremant de Bordeaux from the portfolio of Millennial Imports (Maine’s first wine importer) paired with the perfect local compliment—a wedge of delicious and creamy Tide Line Brie from Winter Hill Farm of Freeport, Maine.
Tuesday, June 15th
Chef’s Tasting Menu: 4-Course + Food Pairing Menu at Little Giant (4 pm-9 pm): Menu and wines will be announced closer to PWW but will highlight Chef Neil’s relationships with the fresh produce of Maine while Bar Manager Sam Rhys will be selecting wines that pair perfectly. Reservations are strongly encouraged and can be made on OpenTable. Miss getting a reservation? Little Giant will be offering each of the 4-courses with suggested wine pairings and discounted pricing in an a la carte fashion all week long.
- Wine Dinner: Mexico Meets Iberia at Isa Bistro (5:30 pm-8 pm): Offering a 4-course dinner of authentic Mexican cuisine expertly paired with delicious wines from Spain and Portugal. Menu and wines will be announced closer to the event and seating will take place outside under their tent or inside the dining room. To reserve call (207)-808-8533 and be sure to request indoor or outdoor seating.
- Wine Dinner: 4-Course Maine Farms + Organic And Biodynamic Wines at Sur Lie (6 pm-8:30 pm): Join Sur Lie for their 4-course, tapas-style dinner as well as the opportunity to sample their favorite organic and biodynamic wines! Each wine will be paired with a course that features a local Maine farmer. Menu to be announced. Reserve through Sur Lie Resy
Wine Lunch: Almuerzo with Justin Dewalt of Terlingua and Ned Swain of Devenish Wines at Terlingua (2 pm-4 pm): Hosted outdoors, Terlingua will be celebrating Almuerzo, a midday grazing lunch, featuring bites by the minds of Chef Wilson Rothschild, and Pit Master Pliny Reynolds, alongside some of Justin and Ned’s favorite Chilean wines from the portfolio from Devenish Wines. A selection of bites featuring smoked meats, local seafood, and seasonal vegetarian offerings. The wines— Whites, oranges, and reds. To reserve head to Terlingua.me and click on the event page reserve now or email email@example.com
Wine Tasting: Think Outside the Grape with Mary Taylor Wine at ViA VECCHia (5 pm- 6:30 pm): During this very special appearance, Mary Taylor will be discussing the ethos of her wine portfolio, which typically includes partnering with true artisans, grape growers who farm their land respectfully and produce their own wines. “Think Outside the Grape”, will be held indoors in the expansive private backspace of ViA VECCHiA. To reserve call 207-407-7070
Wednesday, June 16th
- Tasting: The Wines of Hungary: A Tasting Mixer with Athena Bochanis, Founder of Palinkerie at East Ender (7 pm-9 pm): Offering a casual tasting mixer where guests will be directed through a sampling of Hungary’s burgeoning wine scene and extraordinary bottles as the guests will also be passed appetizers. Tasting portions of wine will be held in East Ender’s second-floor event space where wines sampled will be available to purchase. Email GM@EASTENDERPORTLAND.COM for tickets.
Thursday, June 17th
- Wine and Entree Pairing at the Knotted Apron (5 pm-9 pm): This neighborhood bistro, will feature a series of classic American dishes with an artisan touch. The specially selected glass of wine and entree option is available until Sunday, June 19th at 9 pm. Indoor dining and outdoor dining available. For reservations, please call (207)-805-1523, visit their website, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wine & Maine Cheese Tasting Presented by Maine Cheese Guild & Broken Arrow (4 pm-7 pm): Featuring the wines of Millennial Imports, Maine’s first wine importer, you will get a chance to taste specially selected wines perfectly paired with a selection of Maine cheeses from six separate Maine creameries as you circle the room. Book online here.
- Wine Happy Hour: Vino e Aperitivo Tradizionale at Solo Italiano (4 pm-6 pm): Embracing the Aperitivo Hour of northern Italian culture, Solo Italiano and Chef Paolo will be offering various complimentary small bites to pair with appetizing wines, vermouths, and/or wine-based spirit cocktails. Taste your way through a flight of vermouth, while learning a bit about this dynamic of wine culture. NO RESERVATIONS NECESSARY! JUST COME! Guests served on a first-come-first-served basis.
Tasting: Taste of Hungary with Athena Bochanis of Palinkerie Imports at Grippy Tannins (12 pm-5 pm): Hosted both indoors and outdoors, Grippy Tannins alongside New York’s Palinkerie Imports will take you through a deep dive into the amazing world of Hungarian wine! They’ll be pouring Hungarian wines of all styles and colors and you’ll get to taste and discover these beautiful wines with the expert help. Reserve here.
Saturday, June 19th
- Tasting: Fine, Filter, Shake, Pour at ViA VECCHia (1:30pm-3pm): Join Sommelier Chris Peterman and Beverage Director Mark Hibbard for this delicious and fun event. Opening conversation will center around Italian wine regions of Piemonte and Trentino-Alto Adige and their role in the creation of wine-based Amari like Cocchi Barolo Chinato and Pasubio. Mark will then highlight certain herbs and botanicals that create a perfect balance in a cocktail to produce a deeply complex and satisfying taste. Reservations can be made by calling Via Vecchia at (207) 407-7070.
Sunday, June 20th
- Wine Lunch: Fabulous Champagne Lunch at Chaval (1 pm- 3 pm):
This 4-course pairing menu will feature four incredible expressions of Champagne, each paired with a decadent course. The menu will be French-inspired, utilizing local and regional ingredients, caviar, and heritage meats. This is truly an amazing event for a lover of fine bubbles and deliciousness. Call (207) 772- 1110 now to book!
Wine Dinner: Spain in Maine with Devenish Wines at Chaval (6 pm- 8 pm): Hosted by Ned Swain of Devenish Wines, this 5-course Spanish Wine Dinner celebrates the deliciousness of five Spanish wines and cuisine. Menu will utilize local Maine seafood, produce, and meats by acclaimed Chefs Damian Sansonetti and Ilma Lopez. Call (207) 772- 1110 to reserve!
What else is happening this summer in Portland? Head to our story here on the Maine Outdoor Film Festival hitting Portland’s Eastern Promenade in late July.